Wednesday, March 17, 2010

A Shift in the Debate?



I’ve been saying it for years, but as soon as some Governor from South Dakota speaks up, people listen! It’s as if Gov. Mike Rounds has connections or something… and I’m not talking about firearms regulations.

I’m talking about the long reach of the federal government! According to the New York Times, there seems to be a collective reach by state governments for states’ rights.  Check out the article here: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/17/us/17states.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&src=igw

While I’m not always on the same page as Thomas Jefferson, I’ve always appreciated his thoughts on State & Federal government relations. Here’s one quote that shows his foresight on the topic:

"I do not think it for the interest of the General Government itself, and still less of the Union at large, that the State governments should be so little respected as they have been. However, I dare say that in time all these as well as their central government, like the planets revolving round their common sun, acting and acted upon according to their respective weights and distances, will produce that beautiful equilibrium on which our Constitution is founded, and which I believe it will exhibit to the world in a degree of perfection, unexampled but in the planetary system itself. The enlightened statesman, therefore, will endeavor to preserve the weight and influence of every part, as too much given any member of it would destroy the general equilibrium."

--Thomas Jefferson to Peregrine Fitzhugh, 1798.

In my humble opinion, I believe that the equilibrium has been off for too long, and that it’s time for States to regain some power and influence. Maybe I’m just used to rooting for the underdog, but I really hope this debate comes to the forefront of what’s gong on in politics… Go States’ Rights!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved | Blogger Template by Bloganol and Smart Blogging Tips | Distributed by Deluxe Templates