Tuesday, August 25, 2009

My Pale-Green Thumb



Last winter, I bought a couple of plants for our apartment and have been learning how to keep them alive ever since. I've won some battles, but unfortunately seem to have lost one against mealy bugs on the tillandsia I've so dearly tried to save.

The tillandsia flowered and produced a couple of pups, so as the mealy bugs seemed to be impervious to my water/soap water/alcohol attacks, I decided to focus my attention to the pups. I got them into a new bed, rubbed them down good, and will hopefully be able to see them reach maturity and flower, mealy bug free! If anybody has any green thumb secrets, I'd be very interested to hear them!

The newly transplanted pups actually had little roots of their own tangled up, so I'll grow them together unless anybody knows if this is a bad thing. You can see some of the damage the mealy bugs have accomplished below:

Here's a view from the porch of our new apartment! Pretty nice to walk straight out onto the park:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved | Blogger Template by Bloganol and Smart Blogging Tips | Distributed by Deluxe Templates